Thursday, April 2, 2009

Skulls

What started as me going out on a limb on a post 'Pirates of the Caribbean' fashion trend....has turned into something so much more.

I knew it had become something when my dad turned to me one day and asked, "What's with you and the skulls?"

I realize that as a 30 year old, mother, wife, non profit marketing director, etc...that is kind of weird thing to latch on to, but latch I have.

Currently my collection of skull items include, I am sure I may miss some:
a skull ring (one of my faves)
a skull umbrella
skull boxer shorts
skull socks
purple skull pajama pants
a skull coffee mug
a cool orange and black skull plate
a skull and plaid pattern winter hat (a fave)
a skull t-shirt
a skull scarf (a new fave)
an amazing pink army cammo patterned skull pillow case! (score points for Nancy)
FINN even has awesome skull clothes
AND my latest addition - a teeny tiny diamond skull necklace

The skull!?
What does it mean to me?

To me the skull is a symbol. A reminder of sorts.
That one day.
We are going to die.

It's also a symbol that people a lot tougher than me usually don.
Like Bikers and Satan Worshipers and stuff.
THOSE people... :)

I wear skulls when I run. They make me look tougher than I am.
Once when I was running a race with Shanna and Megan, we all had black skull scarves on our heads...and a guy yells, "GO MERCHANTS OF DEATH!!!" and I was like, "Hey you guys! That's us!!"
We must have looked really tough!
It reminds me that running sometimes, (like the marathon) is really tough...but it won't kill me....it just makes me stronger.

The above mentioned skull necklace with the diamond eyes was my gift to myself for completing the marathon. I plan to hopefully add to the collection with each 26.2 I run.







So when I see one of my skull things, it reminds me.
You better enjoy life, appreciate life, live and love your life, because one day you'll just be another skull in the ground.

Morbid? Maybe.
Weird, oh certainly. But it's my thing.

3 comments:

Norbyah said...

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him Horatio..." Skulls in great literature, too! I get it. A reminder of our own mortality. Carpe Diem. And, so fashionable too. I've seen some cute skull patterned things lately. Will think of you and perhaps even pick you up some Hong Kong skull item to add to your collection. Oh, and by the way, I dress my kids in skull clothing too - jammies, hoodies, dresses. You name it, we've found it. Love that skull necklace. xo

Anonymous said...

Where are the pix of your aaaarrrgggyle socks?
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

it's ok...i'm not 7 yrs old and crowns are my thing. you love what you love.
they have a chi straightener out with skulls on it. that could be your next gift to yourself!

-baby cuz em