Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Run Run Run

You may have noticed that there is a new side bar featuring My Running Goals. And you may have also noticed that I have not been reaching my goals. :-( Booooo....

Well if you know me at all, you know that I am a person that sets her mind something, and then does it, especially when there is a GOAL involved. But with the passing of my grandfather, a killer cold, a teething baby, AND THE WINTER FROM HELL...life just gets in the way. But, I am bound and determined to make my goal this month.

I have loved running for a long time. Beginning my junior year of high school as a way to get in shape for Army basic training, it is something I have always done from that point on. It's nice to stop and think about all of the different places I have run.
Running in Viroqua, on the cross country team, through the town and making a second loop through to get the miles in.
Running in Madison, on the small running path behind our first apartment, the dreaded PT course by the armory, through the arboretum, on the smelly and terrible treadmill at the Nat.
Running now in Chicago, by the lake, through Hyde Park.

Taking a break from running while I was pregnant was weird, and I missed it. The long road to feeling "back in shape" after Finn being born has felt, LONG. But I'm feeling stronger, every run. Doing up to 5 miles at a time now at a pretty decent clip! I still have the feeling that my "butt is chasing me", but hey, that's how it goes. :-)

It has always been a goal of mine to run a full marathon, I'm turning 30 this year and I figured, THIS IS THE YEAR, so I have signed up for the Chicago Marathon this October 12th, 2008!
I have also signed up to run the Madison Half Marathon as well, to seal my fate in training for the full 26.2!

So look for updates on my training and how things are going, and hopefully pictures from me running these races! Feel free to leave comments of support or if you see me lagging behind, motivation! Get your !~@$*&% moving Keaty, also works!

And I couldn't do it alone, I am lucky enough to have lots of close, wonderful friends that are not only great, but athletic also! Here are those special ladies that I will be fortunate to run along side with for some or all of my training for these two races.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, becca! a marathan AND a half marathon! You rock. :) another amazing accomplishment to add to your neverending list!

Anonymous said...

I love that I just read this while sitting on my couch watching the primary returns, finishing off a MASSIVE piece of chocolate cake. Oh boy, this marathon thing is going to be a tall order...that will require some dietary adjustments. But I am EXCITED to get going with the training! :)
Megan

Anonymous said...

I can't hardly drive that far!!!!
dad

Anonymous said...

You're right... when you put your mind to something, you achieve it!! I'm excited for you and your goals - keep truckin!!! - ALI

Anonymous said...

becca...so im running the madcity half marathon also this year! lets make t-shirts
ruthie

Anonymous said...

go hard or go home..:)
ruthie

Anonymous said...

You go girl...this will be great...and I know that you will be able to do it! We too started back at the gym this week. Must say my muscles are sore...Love Renee

Anonymous said...

you aren't the only one being chased by your butt. my butt is chasing me, too. just be proud that it's keeping up. run, girl! run!!

Anonymous said...

SO..REBECCA...REMEMBER TO CARRY A BROWN PAPER BAG ON THIS RUN...I RECALL SOMEONE GOING DOWN LIKE A ROCK IN WATER IN A "POST BOOT CAMP" CROSS COUNTRY RUN INN CASHTON...BUT YOU ARE AWESOME KIDDO!!! TOF