Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Glory Days

This past weekend Nick and I celebrated the 30th Birthday of one of our friends from college.
Leigh Ann.
It got me thinking how lucky I feel that such a large contingency of my college friends live right here in Chicago.

There is Megan. Who you see on this blog quite often! She has become a very very close friend. I love her.....she is so fun and EASY to be around. We have run ENDLESS miles together and her and Finn have a very special friendship.


There is also Matt.

While clearly less photogenic then Megan.... Matt is one of Nick's longest and dearest pals. Matt was Nick's roommate through most of college, he also stood up in our wedding!Matt also was the longtime boyfriend of the above Megan. Matt and Megan started dating before Nick and I did....and they made a great couple for a really long time. I think I have a lot of respect for the two of them because they are still close friends. That is SO hard and rare. And as both of their friends, I really appreciate that it never became about "choosing" between them. We all still have a lot of fun together. It is not awkward at all. I can count on Matt for a laugh almost daily. His sense of humor is awesome.

Some of you might remember Gina!


Not shockingly, she is the gorgeous red head sitting amongst Nick and Matt. Gina was a roommate of mine from college. This girl has a heart of gold and a smile that can light up any room. She is so much FUN to be around and we made a pact to try and hang out more.

It was really nice catching up with our friends, Nicky Reindl....also a friend of ours had lots of fun updates about where some of our other friends have ended up, with careers, homes and families of their own.

Seeing as I met Nick at school (UW-Madison) we lived on the same floor our freshman year for those of you that didn't know that! It got me thinking about those years. I was also SO fortunate to meet my dear dear friend Emily there also. She was a sophomore our freshman year on Witte 9 A! That one random placement in life...a certain floor...in a certain dorm....has brought so many important friendships and my HUSBAND into my life. That's pretty cool.

It's fun to reminisce! To re-tell stories...MANY of them....okay all of them hilarious drunken tales of our escapades on campus. I have laughed more with these people....then most. And I just feel really lucky to still have them around. For them to bear witness to my "new life" as a wife, (NICK's WIFE!) a mom, a working adult, etc....but to also share with them the amazing college experience that we all had.....together.

11 comments:

emily said...

lovely. i'm certain that they all feel as i do, too. so lucky, so blessed to know you. i love you, b!

Anonymous said...

That is great keeping in touch with the college gang...something I never did...Sometimes when I'm sitting in the tree I try and remember their names and wonder what they are up to and where they are....On a sad note just this past week there was an obituary in the paper on a gal I had classes with and worked with at Mt. LaCrosse. Her and her husband died in a plane crash. Not exactly how you want to catch up...Maybe someday when I get proficient with the Google I'll do some searching and see if I can find some of my classmates, especially my nuclear med pals....
Ice Fishing today!!!
Dad

Greta Hanson said...

Dad needs to get hooked up with Facebook STAT!

Debra Fiterman said...

Greta...don't you mean he has to get hooked up with THE Facebook?

Anonymous said...

Very sweet Bec. Thanks for the kind words. Be assured you are thought of very highly as well. :)

~Megan

emily said...

i got your letter. now, maybe you'll blog more often, with something to write about??? here it is... (are you ready? just gave greta hers, she already got the F... sorry...) it's H! have fun. love you.

emily said...

WAIT! you can't have H. i just did it. you get another one. here it is... M. there. now blog.

Anonymous said...

Love you, girl. Such a sweet, sweet post. I absolutely LOVED having you guys here and it made my night. We need to stick to that pact, which to be honest, isn't too far-fetched. Considering the beverages, you would have thought we'd come up with something a little less realistic. ;) You are a light in my life and it's good to get a refill every now and then! Love you guys!
-gina

Maggie said...

it certainly is fabulous to have the opportunity to maintain those quality friendships...and be able to laugh your ass off at all those stories over and over again:)

Greta Hanson said...

You started Twilight?!?! WHOO HOO! Welcome to the biggest time suck ever. THe books are so fast and easy you just want to read them as quickly as possible. I am starting the 4th one as soon as I get done with my Book Club book. :)

Greta Hanson said...

P.S. Did you like Angry Housewives?