Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's not about Ole and Lena - it's about the lefse

Lefse Day 2008

Now you may ask yourself, what is Lefse?
Well! Lefse is the bread of Norwegians. Think tortilla made from potatoes, oil and flour.

My Grandma Eunice made it, and both my Grandma and Grandpa Ekern were awesome at making it. I am trying to keep the tradition alive. My partner in crime in this effort is my dear friend Maggie. We have been pals for a long time...worked together in Madison at Roses R Read...and she is ALSO down with NORWAY heritage and my right hand griddle gal.


It was with some sadness as I pulled out the hand written instructions (2 pages!) from Grandma Ekern. I will have to make a photo copy or laminate them for safe keeping. She even drew me a smiley face and an AMEN at the end...she knew exactly how hard this stuff can be to make.

So here's how you do it

Step 1: Peel 10 lbs of potatoes

Step 2: Boil 10 lbs of potatoes

Step 3: Drain and let cool
Step 4: Rice the 10 lbs. of potatoes (put them through this mideaval play-dough pressy device thing, good arm work out)
Step 5: Cool the potatoes some more
Step 6: Rice the 10 lbs. of potatoes again
Step 7: Cool the potatoes even longer
Step 8: Mix the batter! Add in flour and oil
Step 9: Fire up the griddle and flour the shit out of every surface you come in contact with.
Step 10: Roll dough in to balls and roll out onto clothed pastry board. KEEP FLOURING!
Step 11: Transfer carefully with pretty little stick thing the piece of lefse from board to griddle. This is usually when all hell breaks loose.

This is often when you take a break to play, "Name that Lefse Shape", here is one of our finest, the "GHOST"
Step 12: Lefse cooks on the griddle on each side for a few minutes
Step 13: Lefse is transfered from griddle to table! To be carefully stored under a sheet to keep it moist.

About 9 - 10 hours later....when yourself and every surface in your home is covered in flour and a potato-y starchy film... you can eat this amazing bread in one of the following ways:
1) With butter
2) With butter and sugar
3) Make a Norwegian Burrito - fill it with turkey, stuffing, corn...whatever. SO delicious
I will say this year we did a mighty fine job! There was only minimal swearing and only a few pieces went to the dog. There are a few batches in the freezer waiting to be brought home for Christmas time. YUMMMMM.

8 comments:

emily said...

AWESOME! you two are soooo cute.

Anonymous said...

That lefse looks damn good. I need a lesson. My mouth is watering right now. YUM!

Anonymous said...

That looks like GRAND CHAMPION STATE FAIR lefse!!! Can't wait to gobble it up!

dad

Anonymous said...

seriously. what an effort. and it just makes me happy that you did it, remembering your grandma the whole time. what a blessing.

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW!!!!! AM I IMPRESSED!!!THE ONE AND ONLY TIME I MADE LEFSE, I TOO, STARTED WITH 10LBS OF SPUDS...AND AT LEAST 9LBS WERE FED TO VARIOUS WILD LIFE BUT NOT AS LEFSE!!! AND I REALLY DIG THOSE APRONS...THAT MUST BE THE SECRET TO MAKING GREAT LEFSE!!! SAVE ME PIECE...TASTING IS BELIEVEING...I NEED A LESSON!!! LOVE YA,TOF

Maggie said...

I cherish that we get the opportunity to carry on this tradition together! And we did do a damn good job despite a few mishaps...Wallace needs something to munch on as he lays at our feet:) love you.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are dialed in, as I did not get to spend time with mom to learn the craft. I have her griddle, just dont know how to use it yet. Once the house is done perhaps I could bribe you into trekking out to the boonies and giving me a lesson.
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

Great photo's and blog posts. I noticed the aprons right away! So besides grandparents you also had Great Aunt Deloris watching over your shoulder!
Take care, Love, Mom