Monday, December 7, 2009

We Share A Love of Music

December is the anniversary month of my enlistment in the military. This is my 14th year of playing the saxophone for the US ARMY. It is always hard leaving Nick and Finn for my monthly drills, so I thought this month I would surprise Finn by bringing my saxophone home to show him.
He was PUMPED.....immediately telling me to "put it together Mama!"


His arms aren't quite long enough to reach the keys while his yap is on the mouthpiece, but I am sure soon enough they will be. He loved breathing/humming into it and also listening to me play rousing editions of British Eighth, On Wisconsin, and the Beer Barrel Polka. I am sure our neighbor upstairs was THRILLED. The dog maintained a safe distance...


The other day when he was at Open Books with me, Kevin, our store manager was playing a jazz album through the store's sound system. Finn stopped and said "MAMA! Listen!! (pointing to his ears) SAXOPHONE!" and then "I'm gonna find it Mama!"

Poor guy was running up and down the rows of shelves looking for the saxophone. It became pretty clear that it was going to be tough to explain to Finn how the music was actually an mP3 file....put onto an iPod, playing through speakers....etc! So we quickly gave up our search.

But I will say that I was PRETTY proud that he can pick out the sound of the instrument I have been playing since I was in 5th grade. I wonder if Finn will want to play one someday...only time will tell!

6 comments:

emily said...

work it, finn.

Greta Hanson said...

Awww...so cute! You know he is going to be playing something...sax, piano, drums, flute, oboe...or all of them.

Anonymous said...

Bring the drums home for X-mas, Gert can bring the flute, Becca on the Sax, I'll bang a stick on the Happy Cooler...we'll make a X-mas cd and make millions...

Great post!
dad

Anonymous said...

Picture a warm damp foggy night in Chicago. Fog so thick you have to cut it with a knife. And then you hear it, a sax cranking out the tunes. It will be the stylings of Finn Keaty laying it down in the middle of a bridge over the Chicago river.
Uncle Todd

Cinema Lover said...

Ah, the sax...an Ekern girl tradition...I still have my 1st one, The Yamaha Beater...maybe I'll have to regift it someday to a lucky little boy...

Anonymous said...

WHAT A GREAT STORY YOU TELL....AND HAS IT BEEN FOURTEEN YEARS!!!!WAY TO GO SOLDIER...AND MOM...KEATY!!!