Thursday, July 29, 2010

Remember this?


Well!
My friend Gina sent me a link to a photo contest a few months ago...the topic of the contest was to submit a new perspective of Chicago's vast architectural offerings. I was totally flattered that she sent it to me and quickly realized that it was a ridiculous idea for me to enter, seeing as I really only have a few photos that even feature Chicago's amazing buildings.

The photo was taken on a TOTAL whim last December from the sky deck at the John Hancock Building. We were there taking Finnegan to see Santa and I remember thinking it was cool to see the skyline so flat lying over Lakeshore Drive and North Ave beach below....see the snow and teeny tiny cars?

This was the only photo I had.
I read more about the contest and laughed, deeming it a TOTAL long shot, and just decided to submit it. Why not right?

I found out today that I got an "honorable mention"!! Holy shit right?!?
My photo and byline are going to be PUBLISHED in an actual photography coffee table book.
And I got invited to this cool reception where the photo will be on display and my husband can drink enough complimentary martinis for the both of us.

I guess they got over 3,200 submissions...
I realize I AM bragging a little bit here, but with that being said, I totally feel undeserving and in shock that it got picked in the first place, for ANYTHING!

Anyway.........
Damn. Guess the lesson here is to just go for it.
Or Just Do It, as Nike would say.
:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GUESS IT PAYS TO LUG THAT HEAVY CAMERA AROUND....CONGRATS!!! TOF

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool stuff there Dharma....!!

dad

Anonymous said...

Congrats and how fun to get such a great surprise! Keep snapping - (and sending photos my way) :) Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Nicely done! Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while. Do you know what book it will be published in? Do we get signed copies? We have a coffe table, well actually I don't think I have ever set coffee on it...beer yes...
Uncle Todd