Wednesday, November 4, 2009

BIG Buck, BIG News!

I admit that I am little afraid that this blog is starting to look like the Cabela's web site.....
BUT!
In the spirit of all this talk about deer hunting.....
CHECK out the beauty my dad got.
(Yes, that's right the deer in the previous photos I believe was shot by my dad's FRIEND Todd)

Here is the prize my dad got last night. Biggest one he's ever shot apparently, weighing in at OVER 200 lbs. My dad said, and I quote:

"We could have REALLY used Nick, (to help with the dragging) the buck's last act of defiance was to of course head straight downhill into one of the nastiest spots Vernon County has to offer!!"

WAY TO GO DAD! ;)

Also in other BIG BIG news......(DRUM ROLL)
Nick got his letter from the Chicago Fire Department today!

After taking the test 3 YEARS ago, and passing with around 16,999 others, his number has been called up!
What does this mean?
It means that on Friday he will hand deliver a note card stating that he is still indeed interested in being a candidate.
Then the tests and hoop jumping begins!
He will have to take a physical fitness test.
A medical health exam, and submit a TON of paperwork.
The process takes about 4-6 months.
Once he flies over all of those hurdles, he'll start The Academy!
That's when he'll start getting PAID! :) and working full time, training to become a firefighter. That program takes 6 months.
And then once he graduates for the academy he'll be a real live Chicago Firemen.

This has been a LONG time coming, and I'm so excited (and nervous!) to see what this opportunity will bring.
I think Nick's brains, his slow to anger, calm presence and of course his BRAWN will make him the perfect fireman. CFD would be LUCKY to have him.

11 comments:

Emily said...

I legitimately just teared up at this news! I'm so excited or him!! Yay Nick!
(yay reid i guess too lol)
<3 Em E.

Anonymous said...

It looks like David Lettermen posing with the deer.
Nick way to go! Now the fun begins eh?
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

All I ask is to be able to drive the fire truck from the back spot...I think I could do a real good job at that..especially in the Big City!! Congrats Nick!@!! Should be an adventure!!!

dad

Anonymous said...

Congrats Nick! Time for more change! How exciting, hopefully the hoop jumping will be tolerable.
Love, Mom

Meghan Ekern said...

congrats to nick!! and you!! and uncle reid! I'm might just have to start a fire to see Nick in action...though i'm not sure he can pass that physical test...just kidding!!

Norbyah said...

What good news! I admit I'm a bit behind on blog reading...so I must also comment here on how much I LOVED (and for that matter so did my whole family) Finn's cheeseburger costume. I think it's the cutest one I've ever seen. He looked so cute, I wanted to eat him up =-)

Greta Hanson said...

Congrats Nick! Nate and I are super proud of you and can't wait to hear all that is to come in the coming months!

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO NICK!!!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! CAN'T THINK OF A BETTER PERSON TO BE A CHI-TOWN FIREMAN!!!! TOF FROM IOWA

Maggie said...

Please tell Nick CONGRATS (how original, but what else could be said) from me! I'll give him a high-five next time I see him (soon, I hope, at the grand opening?). I don't know any firemen personally, but I know Nick will be an awesome one:)

Maggie said...

P.S. My dad only kills deer with his car!

emily said...

holy shit?!! how did i miss this? dave is going to pee when he sees reid's buck!